Lighted crosswalk system activation devices initiate the flashing in-roadway warning lights, LED signs and RRFBs that alert motorists of pedestrians entering the crosswalk. There are two activation devices: automatic activation pedestrian detection bollards and push button manual activation.
T6 Automatic Activation Bollard—The Original Pedestrian Detection Gateway System
The next-generation T6 Automatic Activation Bollard is more attractive and offers more safety lighting features than its predecessor—and any other similar product in the industry. A new, fully customizable lighted logo embellishment and improved courtesy light feature NightGuide™, a downward conical-shaped light, softly illuminate and call pedestrians’ attention to the lighted crosswalk entrance—inviting them to a safer place to cross the street.
Features & Benefits
- Automatically detects pedestrians
- Directional-detecting infrared sensors
- NEW *NightGuide™ crosswalk entrance light
- NEW Custom lighted graphic embellishment
- BlockSafe™ ensures continuous operation
- Capable of interfacing with other ITS devices
- Durable aluminum construction
- Optional audible sounds
The “Gateway” Bollard System — Invented by LightGuard Systems®
The crosswalk entry ‘gateway’ is created by two opposing bollards which are installed at least 1.5’ – 4’ (feet) from the curb, and as wide as possible at the crosswalk entrance. As pedestrians enter the crosswalk, passing between the two bollards, infrared light beams detect their presence and automatically activate the system. Due to this, no pedestrian action is required. Bollards activate Smart Crosswalk™ flashing in-roadway warning lights (IRWLs), LED signs, and rapid rectangular flashing beacons (RRFBs).
The T6 bollard’s infrared light beams are directionally sensitive and activate only as pedestrians enter the crosswalk. Subsequently, no pedestrian action is required. Bollards have a range of sixty feet, contain vandal-resistant stainless steel fasteners, and user-adjustable sensor orientation and sensitivity levels. BlockSafe™, a feature of the FailSafe™ system, ensures continuous operation—even if the infrared light beam between two bollards is blocked. FailSafe™, our proprietary default operating mode, triggers a blinking pattern that remains on until the system signal or blockage notice is cleared.
*NightGuide™ Crosswalk Entrance Lighting
NightGuide™ contains 12 LEDs that softly illuminate the crosswalk entrance—providing a courtesy light that “invites” pedestrians to a safer place to cross the street. NightGuide™ is continuously on both night day.
The new T6 Bollard is compatible with all Smart Crosswalk™ system components, LED lights, solar systems, controllers, RRFB’s, radar and other wireless ITS systems, but offers its fullest capabilities to customers using the complete Smart Crosswalk™ in-roadway warning light pedestrian safety system with flashing LED signs.
Because of its automatic activation and the fact that it is virtually impervious to false activation, the T6 bollard is an ideal solution for public crosswalk safety at cities, airports, school zones, parking garages, campuses, airports and private facilities. It is sold as an automatic activation method option along with Smart Crosswalk™ in-roadway warning light systems, flashing LED signs, solar and wireless sign systems, and other pedestrian safety products offered by LightGuard System.
Why Automatic Activation?
Studies show that manual activation is only used by approximately 60% of pedestrians—leaving as many as 40% of pedestrians exposed without the benefit of lighted Smart Crosswalk™ system.
|Maximum distance between bollards||60 feet|
|Power consumption||2.5 Watts|
|Operating temperature||-20° to 80°C|
|Operating voltage||10 VDC to 14 VDC|
|Exterior color||White; custom colors available|
|Outer enclosure material||0.125″ aluminum|
|NightGuide™ light color||Amber|
|Custom lighted graphic||Requires a .BMP graphic; fees apply|
|Dimensions||42” height; 8” diameter|
|Installation||Mounts via concrete anchor bolts|