IRWL Roadway Layout Tips & Diagrams
When positioning the IRWL light fixtures, great care must be taken to observe traffic flow patterns. The goal is to not position the IRWLs directly underneath wheel paths. Vehicle tires should straddle the IRWLs, not drive directly over them. General placement tips are below.
- Place IRWLs at the edges of the roadway to define the shoulders
- Next, place IRWLs on the center line for a 2-Lane 2-Way crosswalk
- For crosswalks with a center turn lane, place IRWLs directly in the center, at mid-point of the lane
- For all other remaining traffic lanes, place one IRWL fixture in the center, at mid-point of each travel lane
- Aim each light fixture towards approaching motorists, at eye level. The result is a unique position for each IRWL as shown in the below diagrams
Common 2-Lane and 4-Lane Mid-Block Crosswalk Layouts